Thursday, March 09, 2006

And Then There Was Music

I did it! I have managed to add music to this blog. It was a dream I had from day one, but being HTML illiterate, and being approximately five years behind in my computer knowledge it was an uphill battle. But, I finally figured it out.

Many of my friend’s call me the Music Nazi, I would prefer the term Music Sharer. I love my music, and enjoy sharing it with others, and spreading the good vibrations.

Well, here you go; here are some tracks that I am currently enjoying:
(click on the track name to download)

Yashomati Maiya Se Bole Nandlala
(film:Satyam Shivam Sundaram)

This track is from one of my faviourte Bollywood movies, which I also feel has one of the best filmi soundtracks. For the soundtrack prodcution duo Laxmikant and Pyayrelal were called upon, and is probably one of the best examples of their musical talents. On this particular track, the production is understated, showcasing Lata’s voice and the lyrics. It’s a shame if you don’t understand Hindi, as I love the lyrics this songs. I personally enjoy the film dialogue being included in.

Dem Calling
Bounty Killer (Giggy Throwback Riddim)

Dancehall producers have taken to revamping old classic riddims and serving them up fresh for the new millennia. This riddim is a retake on the Coca Cola Bottle Riddim, and is BAD! (bad meaning good, not bad meaning bad). While Bounty is relativley calm on this track – not up to his usual vocal acrobatics, the bass line in combination with the brilliant chopping up and re-arranging of the original riddim – is just sick. It makes me want to place both my hands on the floor and cock up my bum.

Two Can Win
Jay Dee (Donuts)

Last month I was deeply saddened, with the passing of one of hip-hops finest producers, Jay Dee. Having worked with legendary production team “The Ummah”, he worked with the likes of A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Roots, D’Angelo, just to name a few. A few days after his passing, his last CD was released, Donuts, compiling 1 – 2 minute instrumental tracks which showcase his musical genius. For any one who loves hip-hop or electronic music, this album is a must have. Yeah, Kanye West popularized the speed up soul sample again, but J Dee was doing it way before, and his treatment is way better than Kanye’s simple chipmunk effect.

Hope you enjoy.

(my testing of the downloads show that the free hosting site I am using is tempermental, if it at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home